Monday 12 August 2019

Science Fair!

Hi it's Miriam, and I am going to tell you about my science fair project. Since the beginning of this term I have working on my Science Fair Project. In the holidays I went to a presentation about native New Zealand plants. The presentation was at a local Marae called Te Poho O Rawiri. After the presentation we walked up Titirangi (Kaiti Hill.) Titirangi has heaps of Kawakawa bushes and we had to pick 20 Kawakawa leaves each.

The next day we went to a workshop where we learnt how to make a Kawakawa and Manuka balm for your skin. The way you incorporate the Kawakawa and Manuka is by making Kawakawa and Manuka infused oil. To make the infused oil you have to pack down Kawakawa leaves in one jar and Manuka leaves in another jar. Then you fill the jars with grapeseed oil all the way to the top, put on the lid, shake it up and then put the jar or jars in a dark place. You will leave the jars in the dark place for about 2 weeks and shake them every 2 days. Then the infused oils will be ready to use.

After the workshop I decided that I wanted to use the balm for my Science Fair Project. I decided that for my Science Fair Project I would see how long it takes for Kawakawa and Manuka to heal chapped or damaged skin. Working with native New Zealand plant is fun. You learn alot about the environment that we live in and how it is important to look after our native plants.  Now I am going to share with you my Science Fair Slides and my display board:

My Science Fair Board

   

6 comments:

  1. Hi Miriam,
    I like how much the skin changes from chapped to clean and moist. It must have been hard to make the balm, go to a presentation, get Kawakawa leaves and go to a workshop all for a science fair progect! This reminds me of when I had sore hands and I used some balm, it helped a lot. Maybe you could sell the balm?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miriam
    I like what you decided to do for the science fair! It's interesting what the plants help your skin! it looks like a great science project! it sounds like it really helps, maybe you should sell the balm to family members or friends? Is this the same balm you gave Poppy when her hands were dry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miriam,
    I like your idea for the science fair. The topic is really interesting and unique. The workshop session looked fun and it looks like you learnt a lot. Have you used the balm on yourself yet? Your science fair is nicely laid out. Maybe you could have added some facts about Manuka and Kawa Kawa? I really liked this post. Keep up the good work.

    Caitlyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing work! You put some much time, energy and love into this project. It’s so great that the people who helped you by participating in your science project also were helped! Win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Miriam,
    I really like your choice of topic.It was a great idea, I would never have been able to think of it. This blog post reminds of when I tried some on, I'm not quite sure if it worked because I didn't actually put it on damaged skin. Next time you could write a bit less because it took me a while to read it all. It was still interesting though. Did you have fun doing your science fair?
    From Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miriam,
    That was a really unique science fair idea and I thought that it was super cool! I loved how you went to workshops in your own time and thought to create a science fair about balms. It's also cool how you used nz native's so that other people could make the balms too and help their skin! Hopefully I will be able to have a go at making it one day too. What was your favorite part about making a kawa kawa, and manuka balm science fair?

    From Kya

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.