Thursday 25 July 2019

Reading Refugee

Hi it's Miriam. Today I am going to tell you about a book that my reading group is reading. My reading group is taken by Koka Ngaire (my home room teacher.) She loves books so she gave my reading group a book to read. The book is Refugee. We have been reading it for less than a week and I like it alot so I am going to tell you about what we are doing along reading that book.

So when we found out that our reading group was reading a novel written for year 8 and 9 students we all were really excited. But of course like all other good things there was a not so good thing. Koka Ngaire is only releasing bits of the book at a time. During the week along with our other priorities we have to read the book and answer questions and do activities on the book. We can read the book at read to self and at home. We also got given a little orange writing book to display all of our work in. We can do whatever we want to display our answers in our book. We also can make a cover page in it. Koka Ngaire said that this work was how we could shine in different ways.


Three different kids.
One mission in common: ESCAPE.
Josef is a Jewish boy in 1930s Nazi Germany. With the threat of concentration camps looming, he and his family board a ship bound for the other side of the world…
Isabel is a Cuban girl in 1994. With riots and unrest plaguing her country, she and her family set out on a raft, hoping to find safety and freedom in America…
Mahmoud is a Syrian boy in 2015. With his homeland torn apart by violence and destruction, he and his family begin a long trek toward Europe…
I got this information from the back of the book
This is the trailer to Refugee sorry that I can not have the video on my blog, but I do not have access to it.

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora. I am Keelan from Gisborne Intermediate School.
    I really liked the way that you found the info at the back of the book.
    I noticed that our school is reading a book from the same author.
    Maybe you could put a little story in your blog.
    Please visit my blog
    here

    Mā te wā
    Keelan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. What are some of the complex thoughts and emotions that this novel evokes—or brings up—for you? Every person is unique, yet we are all human: we all shed tears; we all hurt when we bleed; and many believe we all require human bonding, which at any level involves love. (Yes, the “L” word!) As you read this book, I’d love to hear about the parallels you see among the three children’s lives as they leave everything familiar to them and seek safety in a new land.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miriam
    That book sounds amazing.Three kids have to leave all things normal to them and have to go to a new island; that would be hard. I would love to hear more about this story.
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.