Thursday 20 June 2019

Winter Solstice

Hi it's Miriam today I am going to share with you some learning that we did at school around the shortest day of the year (the winter solstice) and the longest day of the year (the summer solstice.) In school we have been learning about some prehistoric landmarks that have a lot to do with the Winter Solstice.

 For our quick writes this week we have to write and information report on Stonehenge and create a Google my maps about Stonehenge, Newgrange and Maeshowe. Stonehenge is a prehistoric landmark in Salisbury, England. It was a burial ground as well as a place where you went if you wanted to be healed. Newgrange is in Ireland. It is much older than Stonehenge. It was built around 3,200 BC. Maeshowe is a passage grave in Scotland. It was built around 3,800 BC.

I found out that to build some of these great landmarks people had to build rafts to carry their supplies down fivers and then carry them across land by oxen or horses. This is my information report about Stonehenge:

Here is my link to my Google My Maps.


Blog you later.

2 comments:

  1. How cool! I visited Stonehenge once, but didn't know about Newgrange or Maeshowe. Now I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved not only learning about these places, but also seeing the creative and artistic way you displayed the information on paper. I love it! Which one(s) used the fivers? When can we go visit these places? xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.